Monday, December 6, 2010

The Vespertine




Title: The Vespertine
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub Date: 03/07/2011
ISBN: 9780547482477



Source: HMH via NetGalley


Amelia van den Broek is on a mission in Baltimore in 1889 to find a husband at the bequest of her brother. What she finds is a best friend, a hidden romance and a power she isn't sure how it works. When people start to see her as the doer of all bad prophecy instead of a seer, things begin to spin wildly out of a control.
I had heard all kinds of great hype about this book and wasn't sure what to expect. It took me a little bit to get into the book because it is written as if it could have been written in the late 1800's and not current times. Unless you are used to reading this kind of historical fiction, it takes some getting used to, but I actually enjoyed reading it after the initial shock. While the prologue threw me at first, after starting over, I got it(watch the dates)! I really liked the way that Amelia and her friend grew in the book, the other characters weren't as built up as well, and we were left not knowing a whole lot about Amelia's love interest (maybe intentional?). This book will probably one of the most talked about books in 2011, people will either love it or hate it. I actually liked it, very nicely written even if I didn't have my early American dictionary. Definitely will be watching for the sequel in 2012.
I think this would be great for those middle school kids (11-14). Not alot of violence and very mild romance (they kissed). If you are a fan of historical literature you will really enjoy this book. Especially if you like America history stories! There is paranormal activity but in this book those activities do have consequences.
I give it a 6 thumbs up out of 7 (I'd probably suggest a library to-read)



HMC via NetGalley gave me a galley of this book to read for review. No other compensation was made and all comments are solely mine.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review :) I have been thinking of reading this but I have heard mixed things.

    ReplyDelete